Tuesday, October 2, 2012

3D2C Hunt Continues


Finally the conditions were favourable. Last day of the pedition, K-index low, massive pileups have calmed down a bit, several 3D2C stations still running parallel further reducing the competition.

I checked the 10m first that was open, but the signals were a tad below the threshold to give serious try with 5 watts. On the other hand the 15m sounded really good. Propagation was reasonable and the noise on the band was below S1. I was really hoping that similar conditions would be on Conway Reef for him to be able to copy my signal.

When I got to 15 the pileup was just starting. I tried several times, but unfortunately the pileup was still mounting bigger and bigger. The operator was very good and systematic, so I was able to follow the progress and basically zero my calls to his bandpass most of the time at least. Still no luck. Either my signal was too low on his rx vs. the background noise, or just too much competition still. I decided to have a break.

I came back to the radio after couple mugs of coffee an hour later. I noticed that the conditions were still good but his signal level had dropped a bit. The pileup was still running 8k wide but there were noticeable areas of very little action on the bandscope. I found his frequency with ease and was able to follow several previous callers and zero my calls. I tried calling immediately from the same QSX and plus a bit above, where he was moving. Multiple tries, but he picked always someone else. No luck. Then suddenly he gave a twist to VFO and QSYd. But where?

I found him 3kcs down almost immediately from the "calm area of the pileup". The previous station was just signing with the 5nns. I zeroed to his signal and moved XIT just above. Gave my call twice. Nothing. Gave it once more. And suddenly he came back with my call and customary 5nn. I have to say I was a little startled first and fumbled with my keyer, but managed to send the report and tu back.

Big TU to 3D2C team. That was all time new one on QRP.

THANK YOU!! BIG HAND!!

No comments:

Post a Comment